Negative pregnancy tests and a missed period.

Q: Could I be pregnant after two negative pregnancy tests and a missed period?

Symptoms:  Missed period
Tender breasts
White discharge
Emotionally depressed

A:   Delayed menses can be caused by a variety of reasons other than pregnancy. Hormonal imbalances, weight fluctuations, thyroid illness, polycystic ovaries etc. all causes of delayed menses. Prolonged periods of fasting or strenuous physical activity may also affect your menses and cause a delay.
You did the right thing by taking the home pregnancy tests. They are around 99 percent accurate if done correctly after a missed period. As 2 tests are negative, I would suggest that you wait for another 2 weeks for the periods to start. Most women experience some variations in their menstrual cycle pattern once in a while. Generally no therapy is recommended as long as delay is of 3-4 weeks only and is not a regular feature. If after 2 weeks the periods don't start you may then consult your health care provider
for a prescription of hormonal medication to induce your periods.