Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Negative test late period and brown discharge

Negative test late period and brown discharge

Patient: Me and my partner are trying for a baby I was due on the 25/12 and took a pregnancy test on the 26/12 which was negative. Today 30/12 I have got a light brown discharge when I wipe is this my period? Should I take another test? I have been getting lower back pain and period like cramps that come and go in waves some mind and some serve.

Symptoms: Discharge bleeding

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Spotting can be seen in premenstrual phase sometimes, which c an turn into normal flow.Abdominal cramps, backache can also be seen in premenstrual phase.Usually urine pregnancy test kit can give accurate result after one week of expected date of periods.So if only spotting persists without proper flow, repeat urine pregnancy test after one week of missed period.Take care.