Neomycin polymyxin ear drops are hurting worse than the ear

Patient

Q: Neomycin polymyxin ear drops are hurting worse than the ear infection itself. Should i stop using them? Im on antibiotics and the drops because i have inner and outer ear infections. One is swimmers ear. My ear feels better after being on antibiotics for 2 days but the drops make it worse

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.

Yes, it is true that the ear drops can hurt more than the original infection, this indicates local reaction to the contents of the drops and is an indication that they should never be used by you even in the future.
Indeed the oral medications work well, continue them as before and get well.
Do not instill anything locally and be under observation of your ENT Surgeon till you get cured.

Hope this helps you.