Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Neonatal Oophorectomy

Neonatal Oophorectomy

Patient: I had a couple questions in reference to my baby girl. She was just born last week, and had to have an operation to remove one of her ovaries because her doctors said its cord was twisted, and it also had developed a large mass next to it that was removed as well. Although they assured me she would lead a normal life, I have some questions in reference to the future. Will having one ovary affect her puberty or monthly cycles when she hits her teens? Will she have to take hormone pills if her remaining ovary isn’t producing enough? Lastly, a friend told me that the remaining ovary picks up the slack, but the negative effect is when she gets older she will experience menopause sooner than she ordinarily would with two ovaries… is this true?

Doctor: I realize your concern about your babys Ovary removal. In general patients that have gone through this procedure have a normal development and life without any issues. There might be a slight probability that since there is only one ovary producing Estrogen, her menses would last more than 28 days approximately and may require Oral contraceptives to regulate them, however this would not be mandatory and in most cases is not necessary.On the other hand, again depending on the actual situation at that moment, she might need to take estrogen replacement therapy a little bit early than the usually age of menopause to prevent Osteoporosis and other related conditions. I hope I cleared your doubt.