Neurofibromatosis and Creatine Supplement

Patient

Q: I have nurofibomitosis type 1. Is it bad to take the supplement "creatine" when working out if I have this condition?

Doctor

A:   Creatine is found in meat and fish, and also produced by the human body in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. Creatine supplements usually do not have side effects when taken in regular doses, but can sometimes produce side effects like weight gain, muscle cramps, upset stomach, diarrhea, dizziness, high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, and kidney damage. You should be careful and talk to your doctor before starting this supplement because creatine has a tendency to interact with some pain killers like ibuprofen, diuretics or probenicid (used in the treatment of gout), and this type of interaction may cause kidney damage.
Creatine is found in meat and fish, and also produced by the human body in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas.  Creatine supplements usually do not have

side effects when taken in regular doses, but can sometimes produce side effects like weight gain, muscle cramps, upset stomach, diarrhea, dizziness,

high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, and kidney damage. You should be careful and talk to your doctor before starting this supplement because

creatine has a tendency to interact with some pain killers like ibuprofen, diuretics or probenicid (used in the treatment of gout), and this type of

interaction may cause kidney damage.