New Acne, Medication related?

Patient

Q: Hi, I was wondering if certain types of acne could be caused by medications, or is it more likely a response to imbalanced hormones? I was on a number of different medications last year for an underlying condition. During this time on these medications I got what appeared to be acne for the first time in my life. It started on my neck only but is now quite bad along my jaw line, under cheek bones and some on shoulders and upper back. I would say it is probably most representative of type 3 acne. The only time it cleared was while taking a course of steroids. Would it be better to treat hormones or a course of antibiotics?

Doctor

A:   Your best bet would be to consult a dermatologist in person so they can physically see you. That being said most people do go the antibiotic route.