Newborns and drug testing

Patient

Q: I am currently pregnant and have been a recreational user of marijuana for many years, I am also 100 lbs overweight and have quit smoking. In my state they now drug test every baby born on Medicaid and I have read many articles that say that marijuana is stored in fat cells and can take a long time to get out of my system. My question is, can and or will she test positive if I have quit smoking and drink LOTS of water and exercise 2-3 times a week?

Doctor

A:   This depends on when during the pregnancy you have stopped smoking marijuana. Moreover usual drug testing is done through bodily fluids like urine, blood, sweat, oral fluid etc. Thus I am not very sure as to whether it would show up in the same. All the best.