Newly diagnosed Diabetic with Foot Injury.

Patient

Q: I am a newly diagnosed diabetic 32 years old i just hit my pinky toe on a table and heard a laud crack and now intense pain in the side of the foot itself and at the base of the last three toes, I heard injuries can be different for diabetics is this something i should be concerned about or just give it time?

Doctor

A:   You have mentioned that you have been experiencing intense pain on the side of the foot and the base of the last three toes. Taking into consideration that you have diabetes as well, I would suggest that you get an x-ray of your foot done. Injuries to the foot are very common and history and physical examination may not reveal all the details.
The treatment you can do at home is rest, ice, compression and elevation of the affected foot.