Nicotine harmful to baby?

Patient

Q: I am pregnant (28 weeks), my husband and I are still sexually active. my question is about if he's a smoker, can the nicotine or other chemicals pass through into his semen? if so, are there any harmful affects to myself and the baby?

Doctor

A:   Nicotine typically does not pass into the semen.As it enters the body it passes into the blood rapidly and can be detected in the urine and saliva. Thus there are no harmful effects that would be expected to yourself or your baby. Moreover you are already in your third trimester and thus the crucial development of the baby has already taken place.All the best.