Night Fevers and blood in the urine

Q: My husband has for the a couple of nights here lately have had fevers (100.4) every night when he go to bed. It is also affecting his sleep and he is also getting up all night going to the bathroom.

A:   Fever during the nights could indicate an underlying infection such as urine infection, cold, cough, sore throat, viral or bacterial infection. The blood in the urine could be due to a urinary tract infection, kidney stones, benign prostate hyperplasia and in rare cases tumors of the bladder and prostate. I would advise that your husband see a urologist for further evaluation and necessary investigations like ultrasound of the kidney, ureters and bladder, urine culture and microscopy, a complete blood count and a chest x-ray.