Night sweats and chills: What can cause it?

Patient

Q: Hello, my son is a construction worker and has been for 8 years now, his overall health is very good. He is 27, my question is; for 3 months now he wakes up in the middle of the night sweating abundatly and shivering. He has no fever and wants to knoe what is wrong. He is very activ, healthy, 5feet10, weighs 165lbs. He does not smoke nor does he drink alcool except on special occasions 1 or 2 beers.Thank you doctor I appreciate this very much, Gloria

Doctor

A:   I can understand your concern. The symptoms that your son is experiencing is called nights sweats and chills. This usually occurs with conditions like TB or a viral infection. If he is having any other symptoms like a cough or weight loss then he needs to get checked up more thoroughly. I advice you keep a check on how often this occurs and consult a physician in person if it becomes worse. All the best.