Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Night sweats in 74 year old man could be Cancer

Night sweats in 74 year old man could be Cancer

Patient: I’m a 74-year-old man with severe night sweats, not accompanied by any other symptoms. I have to change my shirt four times a night, and contend with damp sheets and pillows. The sweating seems to always be in the chest and neck areas. What causes this and how can I avoid it? (It’s not really a sleep problem; I can always get back to sleep.)

Doctor: You do not indicate how long the night sweats have been occurring.Assuming the obvious has been ruled out and you are not sweating because of the room being too hot, the possibility of cancer can not be dismissed.If the night sweats have been going on for longer than 1 month, please see your doctor. If the night sweats are accompanied by other symptoms such as weight loss, fatigue, or hair, skin or bowel changes – please see your doctor sooner.