Night terrors: What are they and how can they be treated?

Patient

Q: My 2 year old has night terrors what can i do and should i tell her doctor?

Doctor

A:   Night terrors are very common amongst young children mostly in the age group of 2-6 years. After the terror the child usually cannot recollect or remember the incident or the episode and may be confused. These are usually precipitated by emotional or physical stress and also show some genetic linkage.Lack of sleep has also shown to be a precipitant factor for night terrors and thus you have to ensure that the child sleeps well and have good sleep hygiene. These usually pass and phase out on their own and thus it is not necessary to seek help immediately from a doctor. I hope this helps. All the best.