Nitrofurantoin Antibiotic

Patient : I went to my ob gyn last week with the following symptoms: Pelvic discomfort Back pain slightly above average vaginal discharge She performed an intravaginal ultrasound and an examination with a speculum and concluded that I had either bacterial vaginosis or vaginitis. My cervicx, uterus and ovaries were all fine on the ultrasound. She perscribed: Clindamycin vaginal cream for 6 days Flagentyl 2 g for 2 days nitrofurantoin 100 mg twice a day for 10 days As far as I know nitrofurantoin is for UTIs, so why did she perscribe it? I did not take it as I have come to know that it has lung-related side effects and I am prone to bronchial spasms. Should I take it and are there any alternatives?
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. Nitrofurantoin is often prescribed to treat UTIs however, it can be prescribed to treat oth er infections or prescribed to prevent the spread of your infection to your bladder. The lung related side effects that you are mentioning are largely related to allergic reaction to nitrofurantoin. If you are prone to bronchial spasms please mention this to your prescribing physician in order for them to prescribe medications that will not exacerbate your symptoms.