No baby?

Q: My spouse and i have been trying for two years to have a child. i have never had a regular cycle. it is not uncommon to go six to nine months without one. and also to experience one for three or four weeks straight. there is no discernable pattern. my doctor haschecked my thyroid and hormone levels both of which appear regular. what else could it be?

A:   Lack of a menstrual period is called amenorrhea. When this occurs in a woman who has never had a period it is called primary amenorrhea. In cases like yours, where there have been cycles in the past, it can be called secondary amenorrhea.
Amenorrhea can be caused by a variety of reasons other than pregnancy. Hormonal imbalances, weight fluctuations, thyroid illness, polycystic ovaries etc. are all causes of secondary amenorrhea.
To know the exact reason for the amenorrhea you will have to consult a gynecologist or reproductive endocrinologist. The most common cause for amenorrhea followed by heavy bleeding in reproductive years is polycystic ovarian syndrome. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is diagnosed if either your hormone levels are abnormal or if your ultrasound is suggestive of polycystic ovaries in addition to the clinical picture of abnormal infrequent periods. Most likely your doctor has ruled out thyroid illness as well as PCOS. The other causes that may cause the same picture are high levels of stress, hyperprolactinemia, weight abnormalities, strenuous exercise, low ovarian reserve etc.
It is best you contact a reproductive endocrinologist and discuss your condition and treatment options. It is definitely not healthy for you to be without periods for so long and you must seek treatment for this soon especially if you are also trying to get pregnant.