Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > No Fetal Heart since 10 Days With Continuos Discharge

No Fetal Heart since 10 Days With Continuos Discharge

Patient: It has been nearly 10 days since I was told that there was no fetal heart beat at the time of ultrasound I was 5 weeks 4 days, I have since had several blood tests and an additional ultra sound to re-confirm that my pregnancy hormones are dropping, I have a continual discharge but no pain and I am afraid of getting an infection how long will they wait until they do something.. please help.

Doctor: Miscarriage is the spontaneous loss of a pregnancy before the 20th week. 10 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in mi scarriage, a relatively common experience, however the actual number is probably much higher because many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn’t even know she’s pregnant.Since you’re having a confirmed miscarriage, your doctor may recommend resting until the bleeding or pain subsides. In my opinion, I think that your doctors are letting the miscarriage progress naturally. Usually this happens within a couple of weeks of determining that the embryo has died. Unfortunately it may take up to three to four weeks. This can be an emotionally difficult time.If you don’t feel comfortable with this expectant management, you could talk to your physician and consult another treatment option to speed the process. I wish you the best.