No matter what I eat I end up with gas

Patient

Q: No matter what I eat I end up with gas. Within 20-30 minutes I'm in the bathroom with diarrhea. I'm now noticing that I'm starting to get heartburn even when I just drink water. What could cause this

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Noted the history of getting gases and need to visit the bathroom due to diarrhea within 20-30 minutes. Now you have also started with severe heartburn even on drinking water.

The causes can be:
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), can be gastroenteritis if these symptoms are of short duration. The associated heartburn is due to GERD.
The gases can be due to aerophagia, stress and anxiety.
I would advise you the following:
- Get a course of an antibiotic, Metronidazole, probiotic, PPI, Domperidone, antacid and symptomatic and supportive medicines; multivitamins, Activated charcoal tablets..
- See the response and one get time to recover at least a bit to withstand further investigations.
- Investigations of blood, urine, stool, upper GI Endoscopy and Colonoscopy; CT scan of the abdomen.
- Further treatment as per the reports.
- If all the reports are normal, then to be treated as a case of IBS.

I hope this answers your query, helps you to get an early diagnosis and proper treatment.