No period after miscarriage

Patient

Q: I had a miscarriage a little over 6 weeks ago and I still haven't had a period. Negative pregnancy tests. Is this normal?

Doctor

A:   After a miscarriage it takes some time for the body to heal and the time it takes to get the first period after a miscarriage can be quite variable. Theoretically, the first period should come around 4 weeks after your blood hCG levels go back to zero. As it is very difficult to know exactly when that happens, it is difficult to predict your first period.
You did the right thing to get a pregnancy test done to check if you are pregnant. I suggest you wait another week and repeat the pregnancy test. If you still test negative and are still amenorrheic then I suggest you get yourself evaluated by your doctor.