No period, can I still get pregnant?

Patient

Q: Hi, I am 5'5" and currently weigh 89 pounds. I am currently trying to put on weight to achieve a healthy weight, but have not yet done so. I have not had my period for over a year due to my low weight. I just had unprotected sex, and I was wondering if it was still possible to become pregnant? Thanks.

Doctor

A:   Hi, The possibility of a conception when you are not having period for over a year is very rare. But sometimes ovulation can take place in that month and same month conception can take place without having a period. To rule out the possibility of a pregnancy it is advisable that you opt for a home pregnancy test 21 to 25 days after the intercourse.