Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > No period for eight weeks and first time sex

No period for eight weeks and first time sex

Patient: I started my periods 3 years ago and for the last 8 weeks i have not had a period. Im usually regular and within the 28days. I’m more concerned because 2 days ago i had sex for the very first time but it was protected. How come i havent had a period im becoming worried and afraid to talk to my mum as i am only 16.

Doctor: If you have not had your periods since last 8 weeks and you were not sexually active before your periods stopped, it is highly unlikely that you may be pregnant. However you may take a home pregnancy test for confirmation. There could be several other reasons for no periods than pregnancy like extreme weight loss, emotional or physical stress, rigorous exercise, severe illness, anemia, ovarian cyst etc. I would suggest that you visit your doctor for proper diagnosis of the condition.