No Period Since Abortion Four Months Ago

Patient

Q: I had an abortion when I was about 7 weeks pregnant in November of 2010. I bled the day of the procedure but have not had my period at all since. Why is this and what should I do?

Doctor

A:   Typically menstruation resumes after about 4 to 6 weeks following an abortion. If you have not had periods till date, you need to consult your gynecologist for an evaluation. It is possible that there may be some tissue from the conception still present in the uterus, which could be  producing pregnancy hormones and preventing menstruation. There is also a possibility that you may be pregnant again.