No periods after Mirena insertion

Patient

Q: I had Mirena placed in late September, and I haven't gotten my period since. Is this normal?

Doctor

A:   Mirena is an intra uterine device that delivers small amounts of hormone directly to the uterus. Made of soft, flexible plastic, it is put in place by your healthcare provider during an office visit. It is possible to experience menstrual irregularities within 3 months of IUD insertion. However, I would still suggest for you to see your doctor to make sure there is no concurrent pregnancy which requires removal of the IUD.