Non-Displaced Knee fracture conservative treatment

Patient

Q: I have a hairline fracture in my left knee. I am unable to go to the doc without insurance which has not been reinstated. The pain is under my knee and on the left side of my knee. I have a calf to thigh brace. How often should I wear the brace and for how long?

Doctor

A:    Most of the non-displaced knee fractures heal in 4-6 weeks, meanwhile you can use the brace, take anti inflammatory medication to control pain and swelling. After 4 weeks you may begin partial weight-bearing activities as tolerated along with flex-extension exercises to recover knee normal ranges of movement and you can also swim for overall fitness. After 6 weeks you may gradually increase sports activities or exercises, make sure that you include in your routine muscle strengthening and stretching exercises to increase flexibility,  follow a healthy diet and check for the right footwear.