Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Patient: A very close friend has been diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. I would like to know is NHL is only HIV/AIDS related? I mean is there any other possible way to have NHL besides is stemming from aids or HIV?

Doctor: Non-Hodgkins lymphoma (NHL) is a type of lymphoma, which is a type of cancer originating from white blood cells called l ymphocytes. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma refers to any kind of lymphoma except Hodgkins lymphomas. The development of NHL is a complex process involving the accumulation of multiple genetic lesions, including inactivation of certain tumour suppressor genes and specific chromosome translocations. In addition to HIV, NHL is linked with Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV), HTLV-1 Virus, HHV-8 Virus and Simian Virus 40. All patients with newly diagnosed lymphoma should be asked about HIV risk factors. If risk factors are present, patients should undergo serologic testing for HIV. Some clinicians perform serologic testing for HIV in all patients with certain NHL subtypes. One study found that approximately 12 percent of patients with newly diagnosed NHL were HIV positive.