Non injury related swelling and pain in legs, arms and back

Q: I'm a 51-year old male and have been very healthy my entire life, rarely ever have a cold. For over 2 weeks my left calve and ankle have been swollen with occasional burning in the calve. My right knee will randomly (mostly after standing for hours) swell, this has happened in the same time frame as the other. Those bother me and I have not done anything in recent weeks that should have caused and injury, I'm active a lot but not so much during these colder months. The major thing that concerns me, is I'm also experiencing pain in my right bicep area on up to my right should, very painful to sleep and do simple things like brush my teeth or put on a shirt, there's no swelling. Additionally I have stiffness in my neck and occasional stiffness and pains in the left should and lower back. I've tried balms with no effect, I take Ibuprofen, which temporarily helps some, I feel I'm taking it too often.

A:   Hi,
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You calf pain and other muscular pain can be due vitamin and trace elements deficiency particularly vitamin D and vitamin B12. You can get your vitamin D level and if found low you can take vitamin D3. You can get your vitamin B12 levels and if found low you can take supplements of methylcobalamine. You can take calcium and multivitamins supplements for general health of muscles. You can get arteriography and venogram of legs to know about local circulation. You can exclude general causes of swelling by heart and kidney function test.
Hope your query get answered.
Wishing you a good health.
Take care.