NOOTROPICS help with ADHD and general life use?

Q: Hello! I am new to this site, and figured it was worth a try.. So, here it goes! I have been doing some extensive research on my ADHD and alternatives to my medication (adderall) since I had stopped taking the medication a while back due to the MAJOR negative side effects of the drug itself. The medication made me feel absolutely terrible! Anyhow, after searching and searching, I keep coming across a "drug" called nootropics. Have you any knowledge of this? Do they work? Are they safe? Thank you for your time!

Symptoms:  ADHD and terrible experience with adderall

Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Nootropics have not yet proven effective and in only some cases they work fine. You may try them as they are safe but don't expect very high. More-over if adderall has not worked for you then you may consider using methylphenidate or bupropion for ADHD.
Do meet your doctor.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.