Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Nordette the day before her period

Nordette the day before her period

Patient: My girlfriend drank nordette yeterday at 8 as an Ecp and drank again 12 hours later. Today she should be expecting her period, will she get it or will it be in a different day?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Nordette is combined oral contraceptive pill. Taking two ta blets of Nordette with 12 hours gap may not serve the purpose of emergency contraception.Usually dose of two tablets twice a day for two days is recommended for this purpose.But, as usually ovulation may not occur one day before menstruation in regular periods. So, the possibility of pregnancy is less in your case.Taking two tablets of Nordette one day before menstruation may or may not alter the menstrual period date.If process of menstruation already started they may not postpone the periods, if process not yet started, tablets may postpone the date.Take care