Norimin contraceptive

Patient

Q: I am on the contraceptive pill norimin. I have skipped my period and am now into my 10th day of active pills in the new packet, I have had brown discharge and occasionally some spotting for the past 10 days. Should I see my doctor about changing pills?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Norimin oral contraceptive contains both ethinylestradiol and norethisterone and irregular menstrual bleeding is a common side effect of taking this medication. Although your symptoms are spotting and discharge are not severe as breakthrough bleeding we would like you to ere on the side of caution and have your doctor examine you and conduct a pregnancy test to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com