Normal hCG levels

Patient

Q: I found out that i am pregnant just over a week ago but two days later i started bleeding (this has now stopped) i was refered to go to hosptal every 48 hours to check my hcgs levels, the first reading was 141 then it went to 139 then it went up to 178 and today it was 177, what does this mean?

Doctor

A:   It will be hard to tell if this level is normal or low since you have not mentioned the age of gestation (AOG or weeks of pregnancy). You can try to compute this by tracking the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP) and mark it as Day 1. (For example: LMP June 24, 2011; on July 23, 2011, the AOG will be 4 weeks and 1 day or 4 1/7 weeks AOG). If you are at 4-5 weeks of pregnancy by LMP, these levels are normal. If you are already on the 6th week of pregnancy, these levels are really low (cut-off is 1,080 mIU/mL) which means there is something unusual going on and that's probably why your hCG levels are being monitored closely. Try to ask your doctor about your AOG. I do hope this helps and take care always.