Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Nose and throat dryness 3 years after septoplasty

Nose and throat dryness 3 years after septoplasty

Patient: I had surgery 3 years ago for a deviated septum. About 3 months ago my nose and throat became very dry and I had two doctor’s tell me that the dryness is due to over-resection of my inferior nasal turbinates. They said they were reduced by 1/3-2/3 or slightly less than 50%. I am concerned about empty nose syndrome and atrophic rhinitis. Why is this happening now? Will it get worse?

Symptoms: Nose and throat dryness

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.This is not Atrophic Rhinitis.Your are having dry nose because of resection of inf erior turbinates.Dryness is throat is due to Post Nasal Drip.However, you should also get your blood sugar tested.This can also be a symptom of Diabetes.I would advise you following:1. To use Saline drops like Nasoclear. Put 3-4 drops in each nostril 3-4 times a day.2. To do steam inhalation at least 3-4 times a day.3. To take an Anti-allergic like Levocetrizine.Once you start practicing all this you will get relief in a few days.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.

Patient: Thank you!! Can you tell me why the anti-allergy medication is needed? Just so I can let my primary care physician know.

Doctor: Hello.
Anti allergic medicines is required to reduce the episodes of allergic rhinitis and to reduce post nasal drip.
Good luck.