Nose bleeds

Patient

Q: My little sister is 6 and has been gettin nose bleeds more and more frequently like 5 times a week. and today she had 4 and the last one lasted for about 15 minutes..is this somethin to be concerned about?

Doctor

A:   This is something to be concerned about and requires evaluation by a doctor. There are many conditions which can cause nose bleeds. The most common cause of nose bleeds in children is minor trauma such as nose-picking. Less common but important causes to rule out include bleeding disorders and nasal tumors. Your sister should see a doctor as soon as possible to rule out these causes.