Nose Job and Diabetes

Patient

Q: Dear Dr, I have diabetes from when I was 7, now 32. I want to go for plastic surgery for my nose and scared if it will not repair and cause crashes in my face. I want to know what will happen if l go for surgery? Is it really dengerous and will cause damage to my face? Kind regards mahsa

Doctor

A:   As long as your Diabetes is adequately controlled you should be able to have surgery. To determine the level of control your surgeon will perform a Hb a1c test. A value of 7% and below indicates adequate control. Uncontrolled diabetes increases the likelihood of complications such as infections and poor wound healing.