x
171 Physicians Online

Question:

Nosebleed clot stuck in throat

Hi,
I had a nosebleed today and a blood clot is stuck in the back of my throat behind the nose. I can feel it move slightly down. I had a history of pretty bad nosebleeds and I usually throw up if I swallow a clot by accident. I'm worried that I might accidentally swallow the clot in the night. I can't make it go down or come back up.

Thanks

Answer:

There would be no harmful effects if the clot was swallowed. It may irritate the stomach causing you to vomit or it may be broken down by the substances within the stomach. Neither of these events will harm you.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA