Not at birth weight at two weeks old

Q: My son was born 2 weeks ago today. He was born weighing 7.12 and at his one week appt he was 7.8. At this 2 week appt today, he was only 7.9. We have to take him back on Friday for another check. What happens if he is not at birth weight??

A:   I do understand your concern for your child's health. It is expected that all newborns will lose some weight in the first 5-7 days of life. There is a 7-10% loss in weight in a breast fed baby. Most babies should be back at birth weight by 10-14 days of life but may take a little longer if the child is sick or is born premature.
I would not be too concerned at this time, and would advice you to monitor your child's weight. If you find that your child is not feeding well and there is significant weight loss, you may need to consult your child's pediatrician then.