Not feeling very much in loose skin area after cut.

Patient

Q: I cut my index finger from about the tip to almost to the end of the first phallanges along the cuticle with a utility knife. It was stitched but part of the skin around the finger nail and in front of the finger wasn't pulled tight. The stitches were just removed a couple of days ago and the skin in that area is still loose and there isn't much feeling in the area where the skin is loose. Do I need to check with a surgeon or plastic surgeon?

Doctor

A:   You have mentioned that there is decreased sensation in part of your finger. This could be due to an injury to a nerve supplying the affected part. I would suggest consulting a plastic surgeon who may help repair the nerve if damaged.