Not getting my period when im supposed to on birth control

Patient

Q: I've been on birth control for about 3 years now. I have taken my entire month of pills, and i am on the 5th day of my sugar pills, and i have yet to have my period. Is this normal? I am sexually active, but i have always been careful. I doubt that i'm pregnant. Could it be something a little more serious health wise?

Doctor

A:   While on birth control pills. I would recommend that you continue taking your birth control pills regularly at this time. A pregnancy test may help clear any doubts about you being
pregnant.

In the event that you miss your next period you should consult your family doctor for further evaluation.
Sugar pills are hormone free pills which allow withdrawal bleeding to occur and thus allowing you to have your period. Some women may just have spottings or even miss a period while on birth control pills. I would recommend that you continue taking your birth control pills regularly at this time. A pregnancy test may help clear any doubts about you being pregnant.