Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Not really controlled asthma

Not really controlled asthma

Patient: Im a 47 year old man with asthma. I had pneumonia about 2 months ago, and since then I’ve had to use my inhaler almost daily. The ER doctors arent very helpful on what I can do to control this. I use albuterol and Atrovent inhalers. Any suggestions?

Symptoms: Coughing, wheezing and difficulty breathing

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering Bronchitis or Bronchial Asthma.I would advise in such sc enario:1. Hemogram with ESR2. ECG3. Chest X-rayIf the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection now, then you would be treated for Bronchial Asthma / Bronchitis.In such scenario, your doctor would prescribe you inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol.You might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budesonide.In cases of severe spasm, oral medicines like Deriphylline or Doxophylline further helps.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.