Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Not sure about insulin dosage

Not sure about insulin dosage

Patient: I am type 2. tested sugar around an hour ago, meter said “HI” (over 600). Injected 20 units Humalog kwikpen. just tested again, meter says 502. should I do another shot of insulin?

Symptoms: Hyperglycemia

Doctor: Thank you for your question. With these readings along we are unable to determine how much insulin you should administer in order to lower your blood sugar levels. A blood sugar level of 502 is very high and you should go to your doctor immediately to be evaluated and treated. You may need to be admitted to the hospital immediately in order to treat this dangerously elevated blood sugar. Please seek medical evaluation immediately by your doctor or at your nearest emergency department.Thank you for consulting