Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Not sure if i have a cold or an infection?

Not sure if i have a cold or an infection?

Patient: I have a bad cold for 4 days, my throat is sore and i’m sneezing and coughing

Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing, head feels heavy, throat is sore

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Sore throat, coughing and sneezing poi nts towards an upper respiratory tract infection. Since you have it over 4 days, it is mostly due to a bacterial infection. Normally such throat infections start as a viral but eventually superadded bacterial infection develops.You can get your throat examined by your physician. A good antibiotic here will be Amoxicillin or combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid ( Augmentin ). For the sneezing and coughing, an anti-histaminic like Levocetirizine can be taken once at bed time.Hope this helps,Regards.