Not sure if I'm pregnant and need to know if its possible

Patient

Q: I had sex 4 days before my expected period. I am on birth control - but i was TERRIBLE with taking it this month, i probably missed 4 pills in total and took 5 or 6 late. I had sex unprotected with a guy for less than a minute, he never ejaculated inside me. I was supposed to get my period 4 days after we had sex, and i got cramping and felt awful, tired and feeling weak like i normally do before a period. i got a bit of brown stuff coming out on the first day, the second day i got a little bit more red brown stuff but then it disappeared all in one, now i just have little brown spotage and thats all. So i had an extremely light period, that only lasted one day. what are the odds I'm pregnant? and when can i take a pregnancy test?

Doctor

If you have been irregular with your birth control this month then your contraceptive protection is off for this month. You had unprotected intercourse few days prior to your due date and he didnt ejaculate inside, which reduces the chances for pregnancy substantially though precum can still cause pregnancy. However if sex is planned in the last week or days of the cycle then the endometrium is already matured and in the shedding phase and not suitable for implantation to occur even if there had been a delayed ovulation as you missed your pills often.
The symptoms of cramps, tiredness and weakness with accompanied brown discharge form a part of premenstrual syndrome though and mimic early pregnancy. It is always better to rule out pregnancy before contemplating PMS as the cause, so it is advisable that you perform a urine pregnancy test on the 7th day of your due date for periods and check for pregnancy .

If negative then wait for the menses to resume with flow. You may start a fresh pack of pills from day 2 of menses but use additional barrier contraception for at least 2 weeks in the next cycle to stay protected.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you a healthy life,
regards