Not your Typical Depression Symptoms

Q: I am a 25 year old female with a family history of depression. Within the past 3 months I have put on approximately 35 pounds. This is very unusual for me seeing as I've fluxtuated between the same 15 pound range for the past 11 years. The gain was sudden and I attributed it to a change in birth control. However, even after ceaseing the birth control, the weigh gain continued. I underwent blood work to check my thyroid and pituitary functions seeing how thyroid issues run in the family and I have experienced an accute seizure within the past 5 years. Yet, both tests came back normal. Overall, the doctors informed me that my bloodwork was enough to make most people jealous. Still, I have recently realized that I've been experiencing chronic headaches, vertigo and visual disturbances, sharp and sporadic inner ear pain, catching scent of nonpresent smells, muscle soreness and weakness, occasional tingling in arms and hands, increased sensitivity and soreness in my feet, increased pain in my lower back which may be due to the addition of other symptoms to my preexisting scoliosis and spondilolisthesis, extreme fatigue, inability to multitask, loss of thought and memory, changes in habit and mood.

Not all these symptoms are typical of depression, so I have been too proud to explore that option and too fearful of my family's reaction. However, after 2 months of these symptoms, my pain threshhold and tolerance of my own behavior is at its end. Is it worth discussing depression with my doctor or should I request they continue a search for other medical explinations?