Nothing's Working for my Depression

Patient

Q: I have battling depression for a long time, and became alcoholic from it. I had tried many SSRIs without any effect. I was finally put on Cymbalta and stopped drinking. It was great for about 2 years, but then I developed horrible night sweats. I tried so hard to just deal with them but they would wake me up 3-5 times a night drenched through my pjs. I then started to get fatigued from not sleeping.I've tried Trazadone for the poor sleep also. I then tried a couple more SSRIs like lexapro & prozac. They also gave me night sweats and were not helping me mentally. Now I am trying Wellbutrin SR, have tried the XL also. And I started drinking again, which when on Cymbalta I didn't have the urges. I am still very depressed, no energy, but now I have attacks from my constant thoughts, as well as the night sweats!! I've lately developed a type of OCD, tounge is messing with my teeth and they're getting loose!! What can I do? Is there any other meds that may not be of the norm for Dr.s to prescribe so that I can ask my Dr.? Anything unconventional?

Symptoms:  Unbearable night sweats, fatigue, lethargic, trouble concentrating and remembering, no joy, lazy, slight shakes, OCD with teeth, panic attacks, crazy crying and mind wandering attacks, anger, loss of sex drive...just don't want to do anything anymore
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
You are suffering from a resistant depression. You have also tried plenty of medicines of late and it seems either the medicines are not effective or they are not tolerated. Recently there are good case reports about the effectiveness of Ketamine injection in the treatment of depression. These injections need to be given on alternated day intramuscular or diluted IV and are supposed to be effective in resistant depression. And of course the age old emperical electro convulsive therapy is always effective in the resistant depression and may be considered if the symptoms are very troubling and the routine medicines are not being effective.
Do meet your doctor and get these treatment options considered.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!