Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Numbing in my arms and fingers.Is that dangerous for a diabetic?

Numbing in my arms and fingers.Is that dangerous for a diabetic?

Patient: I have diabetes and it is under controlled with a a1c of 5.5. But i hav numbing in my fingers and a couple toes. what should i do?

Doctor: The symptoms of numbness of the finger and toes in a diabetic are suggestive of diabetic neuropathy. This is result of t he micro-vascular injury to the nerves and vessels due to diabetes. Even though you have mentioned an a1c level of 5.5, which is normal, I would suggest that you visit your doctor for a complete physical examination. If a diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy has been made, drugs like gabapentin, tricyclic antidepressants and SSRIs may be helpful in the treatment of symptoms.