Numbness after C-section

Patient

Q: I had a c-section in October 17, 2009 and my skin above my incision is still numb. (an inch below my belly button and down).I have not had any problems during my healing process but is this normal?

Doctor

A:   When any surgery is performed, the nerves supplying the skin are severed when the skin incision is made. Nerves allow you differentiate touch, hot, cold etc. Nerves when injured (whether deliberately, as in surgery or not) take a very long time to heal. It may take many months for the numbness to resolve and even then it may not resolve completely.