Numbness after Scalp Laceration

Patient

Q: My daughter had a head laceration that was closed with staples. she now has a bald spot and no feeling in the area where the laceration occured. Will her hair grow back and will she get feeling back?

Doctor

A:   Because hair cannot grow in a scar, localized hair loss due to scalp lacerations is inevitable. Loss of sensation in the injured, scarred patch of the scalp may be due to the injury of the nerve supply of the area, which may not regenerate to return the lost sensation in the scarred patched.

Because hair cannot grow in a scar, localized hair loss due to scalp lacerations is inevitable. Loss of sensation in the injured, scarred patch of the scalp may be due to the injury of the nerve supply of the area, which may not regenerate to return the lost sensation in the scarred patched.