Numbness and Fatigue

Q: Hello, My problem is numbness going from my toes to my low back. Along with this is pain and tingling.. I have a low back injury from 2004, , starting on left side, scarum. this numbness is increasing when waking. Also, my right foot really gets worse with pain and disturbs sleep. one to hours sleep a night. Please help. Sincerely Joanne

A:    According to the description of the pain and the other neurological symptoms, you are most likely experiencing a Lumbosacral nerve root compression. Some of the major causes of acute and chronic low back pain (LBP) are associated with radiculopathy (nerve compression). However, radiculopathy is not a cause of back pain; rather, nerve root impingement, disc herniation, facet arthropathy, and other conditions are causes of back pain..Lumbosacral radiculopathy, like other forms of radiculopathy, results from nerve root impingement and/or inflammation that has progressed enough to cause neurologic symptoms in the areas that are supplied by the affected nerve root, in your case the right foot. During the acute phase of the pain, the physical therapy is very important and involves use of ultrasound, TENS, heat to control pain, teaching the patient back-protection techniques (e.g., proper lifting, posture awareness). A lumbar stabilization program is also useful in  instructing the patient in various techniques to control his back pain, and he or she also works on strengthening the stabilizing muscles of the lumbar spine. If after follow a physical therapy program, and try every conservative measure the pain and the neurological symptoms do not improve, the surgical possibility should be considered to release the compressed nerve and avoid more damage. Also you are diabetic, amongst the multiple causes of sticking sensations, tingling and numbness of the extremities (hands and feet), there are: vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12), nerve compressions at the level of the spine, peripheral artery disease(PAD), problems with the peripheral nerves of hands and feet, and metabolic causes as problems with the Thyroid gland and Diabetes.