Numbness and pain in the left toe for a month

Q: Over the past month or so on my left foot my big toe, the half of it facing outermost, the nerves have severely deadened. The surface nerves are numb to lighter touches, but I can feel pressure. The toe looks fine in appearance, and I do wear a pair of slightly tighter waitress shoes for my job, and my father is a type one diabetic. Also, on the underside of the same toe two small bumps have appeared, each about the size of a pinhead, ones on the numb side, and the other is in a constant slight pain. I have not had any sort of injury or trauma to the I was just wondering what it could be?

A:    There are several causes of tingling and numbness of the extremities (hands and feet), for example, the most common are: vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12), nerve compressions at the level of the spine, local problems with the peripheral nerves of hands and feet, and metabolic causes as Thyroid gland problems and Diabetes. I suggest that you get a physical examination (toe sensation ,the small bumps)and lab tests to rule out the vitamin deficiency and thyroid problems, might be important also to rule out some other metabolic causes as Diabetes,  in the view of your positive family history.