Numbness and swelling in the distal phalange of the index finger

Patient

Q: The tip of my right index finger has been swollen for a week. It's just thelast segment. There's no discoloration or cuts and it doesn't really hurt but is a little numb. Wondering if I should get it checked or it will go away?

Doctor

A:    Most likely you injured the tip of your finger in some way unnoticed  producing the numbness and swelling, you can proceed to use ice and warm tare baths for the hand alternating for no more that 10 minutes each, then massage gently the fingertip. If after some days you notice no improvement or the other fingers are affected in the same way I recommend to have an evaluation by a hand surgeon to rule out some other problems and from there proceed accordingly to select the best treatment option.