Numbness and tingling in the legs after lying on the back

Q: In just the last couple of weeks I've developed this condition. After reclining (recliner) or sleeping on my back I'll be putting pressure on my lower back (just below the belt line). I will be comfortable until I stand up (or sometimes roll over when sleeping) and then this numbness and tingling will come in. It feels as though the blood flow was just returning. The legs (both equally) sometimes feel like they are going to give out. Things return to normal after about 5 minutes. I am a 53 year old male, 6'2", 230 lbs, truck driver in pretty good shape. Any suggestions as to what is going on?

A:    If you are a smoker and/or diabetic, then, PAD (peripheral artery disease) definitely must be rule out. On the other hand, it is important rule out neurological causes of your symptoms due to a lumbar nerve compression. Your doctor may recommend ways that you can reduce your risk factors for atherosclerosis and peripheral vascular disease. Not all risk factors can be changed, but most can be reduced. Also he will order the imaging studies (MRI) to rule out a possible nerve compression in the spine.