x
70 Physicians Online

Question:

Numbness felt on left side of face

What could be the possible causes of numbness felt at the left side of my face? What are the possible solution to it and is it a serious issue? Is muscle tension on my shoulder and neck the answer to it?

Answer:

Numbness of the face could be a sign of Bell's palsy. Though the cause of Bell's palsy is not known, it is thought that a viral infection, autoimmune disease or decrease in the blood supply to the nerve may result in the condition. presents with difficulty in the movement of the muscles of one side of the face resulting in difficulty in smiling, eating food, closing eyes. Usually no treatment is required for Bell's palsy and the symptoms improve on their own. However in a few severe cases, steroids are given to relieve the symptoms. I strongly recommend you to make an appointment with your PCP or a neurologist for an evaluation.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.